Medical Director of Hospitalist Services
Company: Tower Health
Posted on: January 17, 2020
Position Summary: This position will work supportively with all
providers (Physicians and APPs) in Adult Hospitalist Medicine in
team-based relationship with nursing, pharmacy, care management,
diagnostic and therapeutic departments and support services to
enhance the quality of clinical care and to deliver cost
appropriate care. This will include working with the Chief Medical
Officer, Chief Nursing Officer, Chief Operating Officer and Chief
Quality Officer in clinical care redesign utilizing evidence-based
guidelines to provide more effective, more efficient and more
timely care. This position is also required to adhere to the
standards of clinical care outlined by Tower Hospitalist Program
and Reading Hospital. Duties and Responsibilities: * Is to provide
leadership, planning, organization, staffing, coordination and
evaluation for Hospitalist Services activities.
* Is responsible for medical administration, personnel, and
activities in the Hospitalist department.
* Responsible for ensuring the ethical practice of Hospitalist
* Directly supervises and has responsibility for Hospitalist
physicians in clinical, quality, and assigned administrative
* Provide high quality, efficient, cost-effective professional
medical services to all patients referred to RH (Reading Hospital),
consults with sub-specialists as appropriate to determine the
appropriate course and level of care.
* Actively participate in the UBCL (Unit Based Clinical Leadership)
model and structure as well as other committees and work groups
that intersect with the hospital medicine service.
* Meets monthly with Chair of Department of Medicine to integrate
and align Adult Hospitalist Medicine into Department of Medicine
operations, initiatives and strategic goals.
* Promotes and participates in a collaborative, interdisciplinary
Hospitalist leadership team.
* Collaborates with nursing leadership and Hospitalist leadership
team to ensure that departmental performance meets or exceeds
standards described in medical staff rules and regulations, the
hospital bylaws, departmental policies the Joint Commission and in
other appropriate local and national standards.
* Works with Hospitalist leadership team to ensure that the
department meets or exceeds its defined objectives for improvement,
growth and expansion of services.
* In conjunction with the Hospitalist leadership team, helps build
enthusiasm, stability, teamwork, and competence among employees
through supervision, individualized evaluation and counseling,
training and praise for a job well done.
* Ensures departmental policies are known, understood and
implemented by the Hospitalist physicians.
* Monitors correctness and appropriateness of the Hospitalist
department records; implements corrective intervention as required
in association with medical records and quality assurance
* As Section Chief, supports the academic mission and the IM
Residency Program Director providing direction and oversight as
* Initiates in-service continuing education of physicians,
residents and clerical personnel.
* Establishes and encourages participation of Hospitalist meetings
* The medical director shall ensure that the Hospitalist department
has effective communications with patients, families, care team
members, and other key constituents.
* Identifies the unique and important role of Hospitalist Services
in the health care of the community as it pertains to Hospital
medicine and programs.
* Enhances the orientation process for new department members as
* Conducts an exit interview for Hospitalist physicians leaving the
* Creates and conducts forums and meetings to facilitate quality
communication and problem solving.
* Participates all required Department of Medicine meetings.
* Participates in long-range planning for the organization and new
* Monitors advances in Hospital Medicine and initiates change as
needed to ensure that Hospitalist's services and capabilities are
dynamic and progressive.
* Works with the Hospitalist Leadership Team including Hospital
leadership and others as indicated to plan for and manage the
* Monitors patient census, adjusting resources to locations as
* Analyzes, develops or modifies staffing models.
* Participates in patient through-put initiatives.
* In conjunction with the hospital's department of patient
relations and risk management, handles patient complaints.
* Supervises hospital-based hospitalist program leaders.
* Works directly with Director of Physician Advisors on timely
completion of appeals, case reviews, appropriate documentation and
* Works directly with Director of Care Management for timely
management of patients for discharge to appropriate post-acute
level of care.
* Leads Long Length of Stay meeting in conjunction with Director of
* Works directly with Chief Quality Officer both participating and
leading teams for redesign of clinical care to achieve more
effective, efficient, timely and safe care.
* Participates as member of the Reading Hospital Performance
Excellence Steering Committee.
* Participates in a multidisciplinary fashion with other Section
Chiefs and Department Chair for patient centered care
* Participates in all Reading Hospital Quality Council meetings.
Reporting Relationship: Direct reporting relationship to System
Leader of Hospitalist Services with a matrix reporting relationship
to the Chief Medical Officer Reading Hospital. Required: * Career
Adult Hospitalist Medicine physician with proven clinical skills
and experience and a minimum of three years administrative skills
and experience in a large tertiary hospital.
* Board certified in Internal medicine or Focused Practice in
* Demonstrated knowledge and ability in the quality, financial,
managerial and marketing aspects of Hospital medicine.
* Meets ABIM requirements for annual continuing medical
* Demonstrated ability to speak effectively on administrative and
clinical matters related to Hospitalist Appropriately focuses to
the audience, whether administrators, medical staff members, or the
public. Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities: * Demonstrated strong
clinical knowledge and competence.
* Demonstrated knowledge of process improvement processes and
* Demonstrated strong problem-solving skills.
* Demonstrated collaboration skills.
* Demonstrated communication and relationship building skills.
* Demonstrated ability to organize work and manage multiple
* Demonstrated ability to think strategically. Position
Summary:This position will work supportively with all providers
(Physicians and APPs) in Adult Hospitalist Medicine in team-based
Keywords: Tower Health, Reading , Medical Director of Hospitalist Services, Executive , Reading, Pennsylvania
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!