Certified Child Life Specialist - Geisinger Janet Weis Children's Hospital - Ortho Clinic
Posted on: August 6, 2022
Job Title: Certified Child Life Specialist - Geisinger Janet
Weis Children s Hospital - Ortho Clinic(5,000 Hiring Bonus)
Location: Danville, Pennsylvania
Job Category: Wellbeing Services
Work Type: Full time
Department: Child Life Division
Date Posted: 07/26/2022
Job ID: R-35354
Job Summary As a member of the Child Life Team, plans, develops,
and provides Child Life programming for a given clinical area to
best meet the psychosocial, emotional, and developmental needs of
pediatric patients and their families. Using age-appropriate play,
CCLS considers the issues children face in health care settings and
assesses patient needs for: normal growth and development,
education, preparation, medical play, coping strategies or other
issues to help them in their mastery of the environment. CCLS is
responsible for providing child life interventions to a specific
patient population within the policies and procedures of Geisinger.
All meet the required qualifications, as outlined by the nationally
known Association of Child Life Professionals to provide care for
patients in the assigned pediatric clinical areas or other patient
care areas, as needed. Required to maintain professional
certification through continuing education opportunities.
- Clinical Responsibilities Evaluates child's developmental
stage, ability to understand and cope with the health care
environment, temperament and emotional state.
- Develops a strategic plan to reduce the fear and anxiety a
child experiences with the health care environment.
- Implements specialized services to best meet the individual
child's needs including: medical play, preparation for procedures,
operations or other medical events, teaching and implementing
coping strategies, providing education about disease process and
treatment to both the child and their family.
- Identifies patient and family coping strategies in daily
routine and applies these strategies to assist patients and their
families in coping with the stress of hospitalization, illness,
death, and loss.
- Educates patient, family, and staff to other techniques to aid
a child in coping and insures technique is age appropriate for the
development, and emotional state of the child.
- Assists in the implementation of such techniques, monitors its
effectiveness and alters the plan as necessary.
- Responsible for leading the child, staff and family through
coping strategies during medical procedures.
- Educates and prepares patients and their families for medical
procedures, disease processes and mastery of the healthcare
environment using appropriate and therapeutic play activities as
- Interprets and communicates patient's perception of diagnosis
and treatment as revealed through play and other means of
communication, both verbal and nonverbal, to staff and family.
- Integrates Child Life services by providing consultation to
other health care workers regarding developmental and behavioral
issues which impact on patient care.
- Creates, implements and orients other health care staff to age
appropriate behavior reward methods to promote a patient's
adaptation to treatment and encourage patient cooperation.
- Creates and distributes resources about child health and safety
in general as needed.
- Assures therapeutic and safe environments for individual and
- Selects, purchases and maintains the safety and cleanliness of
toys, games, and other equipment used in the play areas to comply
with departmental infection control policies and procedures.
- Documents Child Life interventions in the patient's medical
record in accordance with Geisinger policies and procedures.
- Participates in record keeping of vital statistics for the
Child Life Department demonstrating which Child Life services have
been provided to patients.
- Educates, and acts as resource for, health care professionals
regarding the psychosocial issues of pediatric health care, and the
impact of illness, injury, and hospitalization on patients and
- Develops and schedules in-services as needed for
multidisciplinary team members and community groups.
- Interviews, orients, coordinates, schedules and supervises
Child Life volunteers in their daily work with patients in all
patient care areas.Work is typically performed in a clinical
environment. Accountable for satisfying all job specific
obligations and complying with all organization policies and
procedures. The specific statements in this profile are not
intended to be all-inclusive. They represent typical elements
considered necessary to successfully perform the job. Additional
competencies and skills outlined in any department-specific
orientation will be considered essential to the performance of the
job related to that position.
Position Details $5,000 Joining Incentive for Qualified Applicants
- Has completed a Child Life Internship (minimum 600 hours) under
the direct supervision of a Certified Child Life Specialist - is
- Minimum of a bachelor s degree in Child Development, Education,
- Required to be eligible for professional certification by the
Association of Child Life Professionals.
- Membership to The Association of Child Life Professional and
Certification Annual maintenance fees provided by Department.
- As a part of a teaching institution, this department provides
and ACLP accredited internship and supervises practicum students.
We re proud to offer competitive salaries and a comprehensive
benefits package that includes:
- Comprehensive benefits package, including health insurance that
starts day one of employment -Medical, prescription drug, vision
and dental coverage
- MyHealth Rewards wellness program to enhance personal health
and reduce health plan premiums for qualified individuals
- Family Support (Fertility and Adoption Support)
- Tuition assistance (part time and full time roles only) Up to
$5000 in tuition reimbursement per year
- Generous paid time off packages that allows you to take the
time you need to travel, rest, and care for and reconnect with
friends and family.
- Competitive 401k plan
- Professional opportunities for growth and advancement
- Support and mentorship from a full range of dedicated and
- Paid parental leave and Military Leave
- Community Involvement through our Employee Resources
- Employee referral incentive programJoin the Geisinger Family!
Apply now! To learn more about this Geisinger opportunity, please
contact Polly Zech ( )
Education Bachelor's Degree-Child Development (Required)
Experience Minimum of 1 year-Related work experience
Certification(s) and License(s) Certified Child Life Specialist
within 6 months - Association of Child Life Professional
Our Purpose & Values OUR PURPOSE & VALUES: Everything we do is
about caring for our patients, our members, our students, our
Geisinger family and our communities. KINDNESS: We strive to treat
everyone as we would hope to be treated ourselves. EXCELLENCE: We
treasure colleagues who humbly strive for excellence. LEARNING: We
share our knowledge with the best and brightest to better prepare
the caregivers for tomorrow. INNOVATION: We constantly seek new and
better ways to care for our patients, our members, our community,
and the nation. SAFETY: We provide a safe environment for our
patients and members and the Geisinger family We offer healthcare
benefits for full time and part time positions from day one,
including vision, dental and domestic partners. Perhaps just as
important, from senior management on down, we encourage an
atmosphere of collaboration, cooperation and collegiality. We know
that a diverse workforce with unique experiences and backgrounds
makes our team stronger. Our patients, members and community come
from a wide variety of backgrounds, and it takes a diverse
workforce to make better health easier for all. We are proud to be
an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer and all qualified
applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless to
race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity,
national origin, disability or status as a protected veteran.
Keywords: Geisinger, Reading , Certified Child Life Specialist - Geisinger Janet Weis Children's Hospital - Ortho Clinic, Healthcare , Ringtown, Pennsylvania
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!