Sr Engineer - Process Development
Company: The Hershey Company
Posted on: June 13, 2021
Job Location: Hershey PA
This position is for a Senior Engineer in the Product
Commercialization group. Primary responsibility for the individual
includes process development from bench top to production scale,
and process design for new products manufacturing. This includes
identifying key unit operations and critical processing parameters.
Secondary responsibility would involve equipment specifications,
equipment installation, and process commissioning support for
capital projects. In this function, the engineer will be working
directly with other engineers (Process, Controls and Packaging),
Product Development, Research, Quality, Operations Business
Management, Sourcing, Manufacturing, Suppliers (Ingredients and
Equipment) and Marketing. The individual is responsible for leading
the development effort with minimal guidance to provide a
manufacturing solution for new products.
- Process Development:
- Work with multifunctional teams and lead the development of
processes (from bench top to production scale) that are suitable
for implementation in a manufacturing facility within the
- Identify key unit operations and understand the impact of key
processing parameters in the conversion of raw ingredient and
in-process material to finished product.
- Work closely with product development and research personnel to
understand ingredient functionality, in-process conversions and
finished product specifications.
- Under limited guidance, design and setup complex pilot plant
systems/tests to mimic the "future" manufacturing system. During
testing, collect and analyze critical information and data to help
identify and size key unit operations.
- Understand the impact of the key processing parameters in the
conversion of raw ingredient and in-process material to finished
- Create pilot plant and manufacturing PFD's and potentially
- Provide input and direction to manufacturing feasibility
assessments and complete capital cost estimates under limited
direction for various process-related projects.
- Participate in co-manufacturing evaluations for new
- Become familiar with Hershey organizations, workflow processes
and training programs. Understand the product and project approval
- Understand and learn the requirements for scheduling and
operating in the pilot plant.
Provide guidance and mentoring to more junior team members on
processes, Hershey systems, and complete special projects to
benefit the organization.
- Capital Project Development:
- Provide process engineering information and recommendations for
the development of capital projects, including process design and
equipment selection, creation of PFD's and P&ID's, and process
turnover document to the regional engineers.
- Participate in capital projects which could potentially include
supporting the preparation of equipment and construction bid
specifications, and acquisition, installation, commissioning and
start-up of process equipment, and system troubleshooting.
Provide guidance and information, including documentation, to
manufacturing that is critical for the day-to-day operations and
troubleshooting of systems.
- Project Implementation Support:
- Lead training of manufacturing personnel including operators,
supervisors, QA and maintenance on the key operating parameters of
the process to ensure that day-in and day-out consistent product is
- Responsible for process optimization during startup and early
production of new processes.
- BS in Chemical, Mechanical, Food, Process, or Agricultural
- 4-8 years in Process Engineering and/or Product
- Familiarity with MS Office programs
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities Required:
- Excellent leadership and decision making ability.
- Excellent technical troubleshooting skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Must be open to and comfortable with change.
- Must be able to execute projects in a timely manner.
- Open to travel (including International) based on assignment
(25-40% averaged over 5 years)
- Experience in Confectionery, Food, Consumer Goods or
- Experience in supporting the process development of portion of
- Experience and knowledge of one of the following or combination
of process scale-up, PFD's, GMP's, food safety, unit operations
- Knowledge and understanding of the importance of interactions
between ingredients and equipment
- Manufacturing experience
The Hershey Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The policy
of The Hershey Company is to extend opportunities to qualified
applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an
individual's race, color, gender, age, national origin, religion,
citizenship status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender
identity, transgender status, physical or mental disability,
protected veteran status, genetic information, pregnancy, or any
other categories protected by applicable federal, state or local
The Hershey Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer -
Keywords: The Hershey Company, Reading , Sr Engineer - Process Development, Other , Hershey, Pennsylvania
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!