Metallurgist - R&D
Company: CARPENTER TECHNOLOGY CORPORATION
Posted on: November 9, 2018
Carpenter Technology Corporation is a leading producer and distributor of premium specialty alloys, including titanium alloys, nickel and cobalt based superalloys, stainless steels, alloy steels and tool steels. Carpenter's high-performance materials and advanced process solutions are an integral part of critical applications used within the aerospace, transportation, medical and energy markets, among other markets. Building on its history of innovation, Carpenter's wrought and powder technology capabilities support a range of next-generation products and manufacturing techniques, including novel magnetic materials and additive manufacturing.
METALLURGIST - R & D, READING, PA
- Play a lead role in designing and optimizing alloys, with a concentration on titanium alloys.
- Scope out project needs, design experiments using standard experimental design techniques and use advanced techniques for material characterization and data analysis.
- Interact with customers and internal business units to provide unique material solutions.
- Support Product Development metallurgists and Product Metallurgists with mill projects related to scale up and production of key alloys.
- Provide metallurgical expertise and mentor all levels of staff as needed.
- Interact with national laboratories, universities and industrial consortiums to jointly develop and evaluate new processes and materials.
- Monitor on-going and future technologies in titanium, shape memory alloys, and metallurgy and proactively drive & secure intellectual property.
- Perform all other duties and special projects as assigned.
- Four-year college degree in Materials Science & Engineering or other related field. Advanced degree preferred. 5+ years of experience combined with consistently strong proven performance.
- The successful candidate will have practical work experience or graduate studies emphasizing titanium alloys. Experience with shape memory alloys is a plus.
- A comprehensive knowledge of metallurgical principles, standards, methods, characterization techniques and equipment is required.
- Proficient project management skills are essential with demonstrated drive and passion towards project outcomes. Ability to make significant individual contribution to attainment of team objectives. Ability to recognize, communicate, measure, and implement actions to mitigate technical risks.
- Ability to provide support, leadership, and guidance to peers, customers, and manager in key projects and opportunities. Ability to work with management to develop and implement strategic plans for the company.
- Familiarity with alloy modeling using commercial CALPHAD based packages is a plus.
- Six Sigma or variation reduction training is a plus.
- Requires strong written and verbal communication skills, strong interpersonal and relationship building skills. Good analytical and problem solving skills. Good time management and priorities management skills. Ability to effectively work independently or in a team in a fast-paced, ever changing environment.
Carpenter Technology Company offers a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package including life, medical, dental, vision, flexible spending accounts, disability coverage, 401k with company contributions as well as many other options to employees.
Carpenter Technology Corporation's policy is to fully and effectively maintain a program of equal employment opportunity and nondiscrimination for all employees, to employ affirmative action for all protected classes, and to recruit and develop the best qualified persons available regardless of age, race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, national origin, political affiliation or any other characteristic protected by law. The Company also will recruit, develop and provide opportunities for qualified persons with disabilities and protected veterans.
Keywords: CARPENTER TECHNOLOGY CORPORATION, Reading , Metallurgist - R&D, Other , Reading, Pennsylvania
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!