Software Engineer I (IBMi)
Posted on: January 7, 2021
Working with a diverse team, you will play an integral role in
designing, developing, and supporting our business critical
applications, while mentoring associate engineers on software
development best practices in an effort to deliver our next
generation of innovative applications to our customers
What You Will Be Doing:
As a Software Engineer I (IBMi), you will get an opportunity to
work with a diverse team, interacting directly with Penske's
external customers. You will play an active part in gathering
report requirements, as well as suggesting data reporting solutions
to the client and processing these solutions to completion. You
will also consult with process owners in reviewing, interpreting &
developing systems. Finally, you will have an opportunity to lead
the design of certain software components and suggest new products,
applications and features based on industry and technological
trends and advances.
Ideal candidates will have experience participating in all aspects
of the software development lifecycle, specifically working with a
Java/SQL technical stack. Familiarity with RPG programs, experience
with Ansi X12, and experience specific exchange tools (such as
Linoma) is a plus.
• Be the primary contact and lead support associate for multiple
• Play a critical role in supporting the application lifecycle
(design, develop, test, release and support) based on detailed
requirements and guidance from senior engineers/leads.
• Collaborate with technical/business leaders and product owners to
acquire and understand requirements / acceptance criteria.
• Develop, maintain, test, analyze performance, troubleshoot / fix
applications and applicable code
• Support mission critical applications and assist in the
resolution of customer issues.
• Design backend database schemas.
• Produce deliverables with clean, well-documented and easily
maintainable code that adheres to defined coding standards.
• Write unit / UI tests to identify defects and leverage CI/CD for
building and deploying code.
• Triage production issues and work with multiple teams to perform
• Assign and review tasks from junior and offshore software
• Participate in conducting new hire interviews.
• Influence the discovery and decision-making process when changes
to standards and technology are required (tools, conventions and
• Provides support to the business by responding to user questions,
concerns, and issues (for example, technical feasibility,
• Other projects as assigned by the supervisor
• Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science/Computer Engineering or
equivalent years of software development experience
• 5-7 years experience of appropriate programming languages
dependent on the role(Java, RPG, etc)
• Full stack development experience in technologies such as React,
Spring-MVC, myBatis, RESTful API's.
• Knowledge of technical project management
• Knowledge of appropriate design frameworks and patterns and
experience in implementing them in software development.
• Knowledge of industry wide technology strategies and best
• Experience in relational database design.
• Knowledge and experience of the Agile software development
• Ability to troubleshoot and resolve issues
• Ability to research emerging software development frameworks and
• Ability to estimate and medium to large sized projects.
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
• Knowledge of full software development lifecycle
• Some background in DevOps Tools and automation
• Regular, predictable, full attendance is an essential function of
• Willingness to travel as necessary, work the required schedule,
work at the specific location required, complete Penske employment
application, submit to a background investigation (to include past
employment, education, and criminal history) and drug screening are
-The physical and mental demands described here are representative
of those that must be met by an associate to successfully perform
the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may
be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the
-The associate will be required to: read; communicate verbally
and/or in written form; remember and analyze certain information;
and remember and understand certain instructions or guidelines.
-While performing the duties of this job, the associate may be
required to stand, walk, and sit. The associate is frequently
required to use hands to touch, handle, and feel, and to reach with
hands and arms. The associate must be able to occasionally lift
and/or move up to 25lbs/12kg.
-Specific vision abilities required by this job include close
vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and
the ability to adjust focus.
Penske is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
About Penske Truck Leasing
Penske Truck Leasing Co., L.P., headquartered in Reading,
Pennsylvania, is a partnership of Penske Corporation, Penske
Automotive Group and Mitsui & Co., Ltd. A leading global
transportation services provider, Penske operates a premier fleet
of vehicles and serves its customers from locations in North
America, South America, Europe, Australia, and Asia. Penske's
product lines include full-service truck leasing, contract
maintenance, commercial and consumer truck rentals, used truck
sales, transportation and warehousing management and supply chain
management solutions. Visit www.GoPenske.com to learn more.
Keywords: Penske, Reading , Software Engineer I (IBMi), Professions , Reading, Pennsylvania
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!