Product Line Manager - Backhaul Operations
Posted on: January 14, 2021
The Product Line Manager is responsible for leading execution
standardization at the Product Line level. The Product Line Manager
will work with the Area Operations team to drive process
discipline, operating standardization and service consistency
across the product enterprise. The Product Line manager is expected
to improve operational excellence and deliver results to Penske
customers in order to maintain and grow our business.
A primary responsibility of the Product Line Manager-DCC Backhaul
is to translate the strategic vision for the Dedicated Contract
Carriage Backhaul product line into the activities of the broader
operational team including product go-to-market strategy, product
offerings and growth and profit objectives. The Product Line
Manager will participate in all stages of our operational process
starting with the presales stage by evaluating and analyzing all
bid packages, to the implementation stage by taking an ownership
role in the pricing process, management role in the start-up
process and an auditor role in monitoring existing business.
Additionally the Product Line Manager will be expected to assist in
training and developing product competencies with all geographic
The Product Line Manager will need to understand the competitive
landscape of the backhaul business and align resources to develop a
solution. Efficiently manage freight movement for new and existing
customers. Maintain solid understanding of current market
conditions and trends to create competitive offers to the
- Develop, mentor and promote strong performers at all levels
within Backhaul. Exemplify the Penske culture and commitment to
integrity and code of ethics. Develop tactical and strategic plans
to build talent pipeline through associate development, meet quota
and growth objectives. Position will require about 50 to 70%
Qualified candidates must have prior experience with carrier
Responsibilities of this Role: (breakout in table below) Marketing
- Collaborate with key stakeholders to create competitive
intelligence and marketing collateral. Ensure intelligence material
is reflective of current market conditions and achieve the
competitive edge by creating marketing and sales materials such as
presentations and contract documents that reflect product line
- Own and continuously leverage the prospect data collection
effort for your area by utilizing the prospect data collection
template and leveraging the CRM data prospect database to achieve a
pipeline of prospective customers. Ensures that the prospect's
portfolio is a thorough reflection of the opportunity so that the
operations team has the tools needed to make a go/no-go
- Leverage transactional "Freight Sources" throughout our
operating Areas working with the Area Teams to implement the most
effective way to leverage up field resources with freight streams
from Non Contractual business.
- Be the face of Penske Logistics to significant "Freight
Sources" to maximize opportunities within our national operating
network Deals & Implementation Process
- Own costing, pricing and contract process for prospective and
existing opportunities while collaborating with key stakeholders in
finance to ensure financial factors are accurate.
- Manage the start-up process through implementation by
interfacing with IT, training drivers, warehouse workers, and
operations staff on systems and processes, and establishes the
billing process, as it applies to Backhaul.
- Effectively manage and monitor the sourcing, billing and
payroll process by collaborating with process owners by ensuring
service levels are high.
- Engage operational stakeholders and key members of the product
team to drive process discipline, operating standardization and
service consistency across the DCC backhaul product
- Be the face of Penske Logistics to shippers for seasonal work
- Establish and maintain relationships with key decision makers
at multiple levels within the customer's organization and Penske.
Identify, qualify, obtain and develop relationships with
prospective customers. Customer Management
- Develop and manage customer tools that allows for a productive
relationship with the customer, including the creation of customer
portals, defining and communicating metrics and training the
customer on how to use the tools.
- Conduct business reviews on an on-going basis to ensure the
quality of service and product are high in order to achieve
effective customer satisfaction levels.
- Grow the DCC Backhaul product line business in the area by
taking the necessary actions to seek opportunities from existing
and new customers.
- Ensure high levels of customer service are achieved through an
improved 3rd Party Backhaul operational process model.
- Track and Maintain backhaul activity metrics and ensure that
weekly/monthly quotas are met.
- Identify synergies among all of the operations to drive
productivity and to implement best practices. Works with Operations
and Sales to improve financial performance year over year.
- Manage P&L & revenue growth for your backhaul region or
- Drive consistent performance across all backhaul with a focus
on adding and retaining new customers. Manage account relationships
as the escalated point-of-contact, including ongoing
communications, coordination of customers' needs, billing,
collections and other activities. Qualifications:
- A Bachelor's degree in Operations Management, Logistics,
Distribution, Finance, Business Administration
- Candidates must have at least 2 years of experience with
carrier management, preferably managing process for cost
- 2 years of analyzing data, finding market trends, and building
a strategy to improve the position of a company
- Maintains a thorough knowledge of emerging technical and
regulatory issues that could improve drive cost improvement and
help improve profit margins
- Ability to meet & exceed weekly and monthly revenue goals
- Regular, predictable, full attendance is an essential function
of the job
- Willingness to travel as necessary, work the required schedule,
work at the specific location required, complete Penske employment
application, submit to a background investigation (to include past
employment, education, and criminal history) and drug screening are
- Must be able to work with other departments to increase overall
productivity for the company
- Strong analytical and presentation skills, written/oral
communication and organizational skills
- Ability to manage multiple projects with a sense of urgency
while maintaining a high degree of accuracy
- Strong negotiation and problem solving skills Physical
- The physical and mental demands described here are
representative of those that must be met by an associate to
successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with
disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The associate will be required to: read; communicate verbally
and/or in written form; remember and analyze certain information;
and remember and understand certain instructions or
- While performing the duties of this job, the associate may be
required to stand, walk, and sit. The associate is frequently
required to use hands to touch, handle, and feel, and to reach with
hands and arms. The associate must be able to occasionally lift
and/or move up to 25lbs/12kg.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close
vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and
the ability to adjust focus. Penske is an Equal Opportunity
Keywords: Penske, Reading , Product Line Manager - Backhaul Operations, Professions , Reading, Pennsylvania
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!